Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Alfred Gockel

Alfred Gockel was born in the coal mining town of Lüdinghausen, Germany. Gockel's first work was published when the artist was only eight years old. At 16 he began to work in the coal mines, and planned on one day becoming an engineer. When the mining industry experienced a downturn, many of the town's inhabitants were left without jobs. The struggle that Gockel felt at this time continues to affect his artwork today.

“I like to touch the viewer's soul with my vibrant colors,” Gockel has said. “Often in my paintings I use elements that reflect my challenging past, when as a boy I worked in the coal mines. But my purpose is to express my joy in life, and to show that we can overcome many obstacles through the expressions of life's beauties.”

No comments: